Visa Guidance

Visa Guidance

Visa Guidance


You can apply for a Student Visitor visa if:

  1. you’re doing a short course of study in the UK

  2. you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland


You must prove that you:

  1. are 18 or over

  2. have been offered a place on a course in the UK at an accepted place of study

  3. have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you

  4. can pay for your return or onward journey

How long it takes

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in the country you’re applying from.

Visiting the UK as part of an overseas course

You can apply for a Student Vistor visa if you’re studying at an overseas higher education institution and part of your course is in the UK.

Your institution must:

  1. hold its own national accreditation

  2. offer only part of its educational programme in the UK

  3. offer programmes that are equivalent to a UK degree

Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  1. a current passport or other valid travel identification

  2. passport size colour photographs

  3. evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months

  4. details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans – you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa

  5. your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test

You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

Read the guide for a full list of documents you can provide.

Documents about your course

You must provide proof of:

  1. the course you’re studying, eg a letter of acceptance from the educational institution – on official headed paper, stating the course’s name, duration and cost (including accommodation)

  2. your previous study, eg academic certificates, academic references, academic transcripts

  3. any English language ability or qualifications, eg test certificates, award certificates for degrees taught in English


You must apply online for a Student Visitor visa.

You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.

You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in – check with your visa application centre.

What to do after Visa Refusal?

  1. In the event of being refused a visa, a student can appeal/reapply the visa and defer their admission with AUO to the next semester. Alternatively the student can request a refund of the tuition fee paid to AUO as per the condition attached.

  2. If a student requires a refund due to VISA refusal they must immediately contact the college at:This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Where to get latest information about student visas?

The British Council also provides information to help international students prepare for study in the UK. Their website is